2020 Results Days updated 26th August

What do I do if I am unhappy about a grade or grades that I have been awarded?

On the 17th August the government announced that students would now receive the higher of the Centre Assessed Grade or the Ofqual Calculated Grade.  The Centre Assessed Grade is not a teacher assessment.  This is a grade that was arrived at by the school as a result of a rigorous moderation of teacher assessments within subject areas and across the school; in line with the expectations of government and Ofqual at the time.  The Centre Assessed Grade is not the responsibility of individual teachers.


This means that individual staff will not be able to respond to any questions or concerns about grades or the basis on which they have been awarded.  All queries about exams should be made using the process set out in the information below.  If you contact individual teachers and ask about the Centre Assessed Grade, then they will direct you to the information on this page.


You do have the option to sit exams in the Autumn term if you want to improve your grade. If you would like to do so then it may be helpful to contact your subject teacher in the first instance and ask for their advice.   If you do want to be entered for the exams then you should contact the exams officer using the email address below as soon as possible.  Please be aware that the school will not be able to support your preparation for these exams. Deadlines for entry are:


AS & A levels 4 September

GCSEs except English language & maths 18 September

GCSEs in English language & maths 4 October 


The information on this page is a summary of the full Ofqual guide to appeals, malpractice & maladministration complaints which students should read in full.  Ofqual issued ‘summary guidance’ on appeals and complaints,  on the 26th August which students should read before submitting a request as set out below.  Students cannot make an appeal to exam boards directly, this has to be done through the school.


1. Ofqual say that “the student can ask schools to check whether it made an administrative error when submitting information to the exam board.” We think this is highly unlikely as our exams team undertook a forensic approach to ensuring the data was accurate when it was submitted to the exam boards.  Administrative errors might include, for example, mixing up 2 students with similar names, or accidentally copying across the wrong data, but do not relate to the professional judgements of centres in assigning CAGs. If you want us to check, then please email the exams officer using the contact details below and we will contact you with a response as soon as possible but no later than Thursday 3rd September.  If we find we made a mistake in the information we provided, then we will ask the exam board to correct it.


2. Ofqual say that “Your school or college can appeal to the exam board on your behalf if it believes the exam board made a mistake when it communicated your grades.”  We will check all grades and if we find a mistake in the exam boards’ communications we will submit an appeal


 3. Ofqual say that “You cannot challenge your school or college under the appeals process on the centre assessment grades it submitted or your rank order positions. Any appeal would have to be undertaken by someone better placed than your teachers to judge your likely grade if exams had taken place. In the unique circumstances of this summer, we do not believe there is such a person. “ This means that no process exists for an appeal to be made on the basis of a student disagreeing with the Centre Assessed Grade or rank order.


4. Ofqual say that “You cannot appeal because your mock result was higher than the grade you were awarded. Your mock grade will have been taken into account in determining your centre assessment grade. You will either receive your centre assessment grade or your calculated grade (whichever is higher)” This means that no process exists for an appeal to be made on the basis of your mock result.


The deadline for appeals to be submitted to exam boards is the 17th September.  If you have reviewed Ofqual’s full guidance and you believe that there is a case for the school to make an appeal to the exam board for one or more of your grades, then this is the process you must follow:


  • The student should put in writing to Mr Park (using office@kimberleyschool.co.uk) before Thursday 3rd September which grades they would like the school to appeal and the basis for that appeal.

  • Mr Park will respond in writing to the student before midday on Tuesday 8th September.  If Mr Park agrees with the request, then the school will submit an appeal.

  • If the student disagrees with Mr Park’s decision then they can put it in writing to Mr George (using office@kimberleyschool.co.uk) before midday on Friday 11th September and explain why they think Mr Park’s decision is not in line with the Ofqual guidance.

  • Mr George will respond in writing to the student before Wednesday 16th September.  If Mr George agrees with the request, then the school will submit an appeal


The school will not be able to respond to requests for us to appeal:


  • that are not submitted by the student themselves; or

  • are submitted outside of the timelines above; or

  • that do not include the reasons that you believe the school should submit an appeal.


Making a complaint about bias, discrimination, malpractice or maladministration


Ofqual say that “You cannot appeal because you disagree with the centre assessment grades or rank orders given by your school or college. However, you might be concerned that your centre assessment grades or your rank order positions were wrong because you believe the judgement was influenced by things other than evidence about your academic performance. We know that some students, and groups representing students, were concerned that some centre assessment grades and rank order positions could be influenced by bias or discrimination. Individual cases of bias or discrimination would be taken very seriously, and we expect them to be rare.  If bias or discrimination affected your centre assessment grades or rank order positions this summer, this could be a form of malpractice or maladministration (wrongdoing).


If you think that there has been malpractice or maladministration at this school and this might have affected one or more of your grades, then you should read the full Ofqual guidance which gives detailed examples of what this might look like.  If you do have evidence that this was the case, then you should follow the schools’ complaints policy.


Ofqual’s guidance also includes more detail on appeals and complaints for vocational & technical qualifications




Exams Officer.  Chanine Gent (exams@kimberleyschool.co.uk)

0115 938 7000

The Kimberley School

Newdigate St | Kimberley | Nottinghamshire | NG16 2NJ

Ofsted_Good_GP_Colour thm.png
EMET text only.png
EMET logo only.png